Monday, August 31, 2009

Retro-Blog; Dragon Con 2008 Labor Day Weekend

So okay… it’s been almost a year since these events transpired and I am getting ready for my annual celebration of geek as I am writing this.

In my meanderings around the web and world I know there is a bristling of emotions when fantasy, fiction and reality collide. I like to think of Dragon Con as a the Large Hadron Collider of science fiction and science fact.

With this in mind I am dressed as the Sand Storm Han Solo form a deleted scene from Return of the Jedi, and I am seated with my special friend Karen attired in a Princess Leia bikini participating in the live recording of episode 104 of the Astronomy Cast. (www.astronomycast.com)

Panelist for this…erg…. panel were Dr. Phil Plait of Bad Astronomy (http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/) and Dr. Kevin Grazier, science advisor to Battlestar Galactica and Eureka, and the topics were about what science fiction gets right, and what they get wrong, and how in some ways it is almost forgivable to make certain allowances for entertainment.

Now this isn’t something that happened then but makes an interesting note is my favorite TV show right now is The Big Bang Theory, and it is the only comedy to have a science advisor on staff….

Leading the panel was Dr. Pamela Gay to who’s podcast I have been a big fan of for a very long time. In her comments before and after the main topic she pimped the International Year of Astronomy, to which began the slow burn which is resulting in this very blog page.

She said get involved and I decided I would. Starting with distributing the collection of buttons and flyers she gave me for that very purpose when I met her at her table!!!!! I think it was at that point I became an Astronomy Cast groupie.

You can read about her adventures at Dragon Con at http://www.starstryder.com/2008/09/02/dragoncon-there-and-back-again/ and listen to the episode at http://www.astronomycast.com/astronomy/episode-104-science-fiction-at-dragoncon-with-plait-and-grazier/ .

This was fun. I sincerely hope that anyone who has this stereotyped, and you will soon come to know that I loathe, absolutely LOATHE stereotypes, as nerdy, dark-dwelling, socially stymied science geeks should listen to this episode. It’s funny! As a plus, not to discredit Dr. Gays works, or her intellect… she is quite beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment