Thursday, October 29, 2009

Proof I am a Fanboy.

This writing isn’t so much about astronomy or camping but is going to be loaded with geeky goodness. But mostly it is my way of coping with the impending time change coming up this weekend, and how it completely screws with my system.

I am not going to say I have S.A.D.S. because I have never been nor desire to be tested, but I loathe it when the days are shorter and cooler. Some people are affected by it much worst than I am and if you will please allow me to toss these tidbits out there, maybe it can help you help someone else.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), also known as winter depression or winter blues, is a mood disorder in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the year experience depressive symptoms in the winter or, less frequently, in the summer, spring or fall, repeatedly, year after year. In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV), SAD is not a unique mood disorder, but is "a specifier of major depression".

The US National Library of Medicine notes that "some people experience a serious mood change when the seasons change. They may sleep too much, have little energy, and crave sweets and starchy foods. They may also feel depressed. Though symptoms can be severe, they usually clear up." The condition in the summer is often referred to as Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder, and can also include heightened anxiety.

There are many different treatments for classic (winter-based) seasonal affective disorder, including light therapy with bright lights, anti-depression medication, cognitive-behavioral therapy, ionized-air administration, and carefully timed supplementation of the hormone melatonin.


I find letting my brain run amok and on tangents that I can fixate on helps! Hence the rest of this blog talking about something that will make me feel better.

Hit it Mr. Announcer…. BIKINIS IN SPACE!!!!

There was this TV series in the late 70’s called Space:1999. It starred Martin Landau who would later get an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in Tim Burtons movie Ed Wood. (Mr. Landau played Bela Legosi.)

Anyhow… the moon gets blown out of orbit and gets sent sailing across the stars and every week it was all about which alien hated us. But on the moonbase they had tanning beds which I think is awesome!

The particular episode that featured the moon bound bikinis was called Force of Life which guest starred Ian McShane (Yep… Al Sweringen himself). I provided a link to the pictures. !

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/main/epimg/tifol6.html

So here I sit in soon to be not so sunny Florida wishing I was on Moonbase Alpha. Hell… I would settle for Moonbase Bravo!

Hmmm… There is no Moonbase Bravo but if there were I would imagine it would be on the Farside of the moon.

It’s not the Darkside as Pink Floyd and so many others would have you call it because it actually gets as much sun as the Nearside does. On night with a New Moon, or no moon at all you ever wonder what it is doing? The moon is sunning its buns!

The phenomenon of the moon not rotating on its axis is referred to as Tidal Lock.

The moon sits on the shores of the cosmic ocean in tidal lock, where we need tanning salons on our moonbases to prevent SADs.

Astronomy totally stokes me dude!

No comments:

Post a Comment