Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Belated Geek Pride Day

So yesterday , the 25th of May, was and is Geek Pride Day. I did not know this until it was almost all over, but since I geek all the time anyways it wasn’t a day without celebration. It was also Towel Day in celebration of the life of Douglas Adams, but bad geek moment I had no towel.

None the less I take the day after to raise awareness of Geek Pride Day and pass on a couple of things that I did that was genuinely geeky yesterday.
First, I posted in the previous…erg… post the really awesome ad for Louis Vittian featuring Astronaut legends Sally Ride, Buzz Aldrin, and Jim Lovell. That posting was purely accidental and while I am opposed to geeks shilling for commercial enterprise I am not opposed to making spaceflight more socially aware.

Second, on Twitter, I proposed harnessing the power of geek and fighting the oil spill. Because I propose this under the auspices of Geekhood good works while done by many is an incredible social consciousness, when we do something we have to do it in costume. Ergo, I began the devolpment of a Zissou Society Chapter for Florida to be proponents of aquatic awareness, conservation, education, and advocacy. And to do it all in red caps.

From the Wikipedia site since I was trying to make up for my ignorance of Geek Pride Day I came across this.

Basic rights and responsibilities of geeks

A manifesto was created to celebrate the first Geek Pride Day which included the following list of basic rights and responsibilities of geeks.

Rights:

1. The right to be even geekier.
2. The right to not leave your house.
3. The right to not like football or any other sport.
4. The right to associate with other nerds.
5. The right to have few friends (or none at all).
6. The right to have as many geeky friends as you want.
7. The right to be out of style.
8. The right to be overweight and near-sighted.
9. The right to show off your geekiness.
10. The right to take over the world.

Responsibilities:

1. Be a geek, no matter what.
2. Try to be nerdier than anyone else.
3. If there is a discussion about something geeky, you must give your opinion.
4. To save and protect all geeky material.
5. Do everything you can to show off geeky stuff as a "museum of geekiness."
6. Don't be a generalized geek. You must specialize in something.
7. Attend every nerdy movie on opening night and buy every geeky book before anyone else.
8. Wait in line on every opening night. If you can go in costume or at least with a related T-shirt, all the better.
9. Don’t waste your time on anything not related to geekdom.
10. Try to take over the world!

There my friends and readers I submit to you this day to prepare for next year along with the encouragement to bare your geek the year long through. Next year, I will have a towel.

No comments:

Post a Comment